Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cream of Cliantro Soup

Since I have been snowed in for the last few days, I have taken advantage of cleaning out my refrigerator.  I had a bunch of cilantro that I had stored in my "prepara" herb keeper, so decided to make a soup that was always a favorite.
Cream of Cilantro Soup
1 bunch cilantro
4 c. chicken broth, divided
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 (8oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 (8oz) carton sour cream
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground red pepper
1/4 t. ground cumin
Remove stems from cilantro and coarsely chop leaves.  Process chopped cilantro and 1 cup chicken broth in food processor until blended, stopping to scrape down sides.  Melt butter in medium pan over medium heat; whisk in flour.  Gradually add remaining broth, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth.  Boil 1 minute.  Stir in cilantro mixture, cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, salt, red pepper and cumin.  Simmer 15 minutes.  Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs or sour cream.
Makes 6 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment