Monday, January 24, 2011

Sauce Cake

If you like a plain and good dessert, you will love this one.  I think that it may be both of my daughters favorite.  Spencer asked for it for her birthday.  Jenny Singleton, my neighbor and good friend for many years, gave it to me, compliments of her mother. I've never seen another recipe like this.

Sauce Cake
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Beat Crisco and sugar, add egg. Mix dry ingredients and add alternately with milk. Pour into 8x8 greased pan, saving about 1/2 cup. Bake cake 375 for 20 minutes or until done in the middle.  Remove from oven and cool.  To dough, add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 stick butter and about 1/2 cup of boiling water.  Stir and cook until thick and serve over cake. I usually boil about a cup of water, as it may require more liquid. If you don't use all of the sauce and cake initially, you may warm sauce by adding boiling water.
I know this sounds very unusual, but it is always a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment